[tlhIngan Hol] when to {mej} and when to {tlheD}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 23 09:01:56 PDT 2021

(Okrand, qepHom 2019):  The difference between {mej} “leave” and {tlheD} “depart” is that {tlheD} implies setting out on a journey, having a goal or destination in mind, while {mej} refers simply to leaving one's current location. In both cases, the object is the place you're departing/leaving from.

Here are some examples of {mej} to study with SuStel’s explanation in mind:

ghorgh mamej
When do we leave? (CK)

vagh rep bImejnIS
Check-out time is five a.m. (CK)

bImejDI' reH betleHlIj yItlhap
Never leave without your bet'telh. (TKW )

DorDI' jar mejpu'
At the end of the month, he/she left. (HQ 12.2:8)

DaH jImej
Good-bye. (TNK)

bImej 'ej bIyIn
[translation unavailable] (PB)

yImej qeylIS
Be gone with you, Kahless (PB)

yIghoS yImej
Go now, leave me. (PB)

mej loD qan
The old man walks away (PB)

jatlh 'e' mevDI' nuvpu' mejmoH ghaH ratlh be'nalDaj luqara' neH.
After his last words, all were sent away, but his wife Lukara. (PB)

vavlI' loDnI'lI' je DaSammeH ghe'tor Da'elmo' 'ej Damejmo' QeHchoH qa'pu' vaj lubIjlu'
They will pay for the anger you caused by entering and leaving, Gre'thor in search of your kin. (PB)

ghe'tor Da'elta' 'ej lojmItmeyvo' Damejta' 'ach bIrIQbe'mo' SoH neH
Since you are the only one who ever entered Gre'thor, and left the gates unharmed  (PB)

bIghHa' DamejDI' pagh QaS yInob
Get out of jail free.  (MKE)

… and examples of {tlheD}:

tlheDrup qeylIS
(PB, section title)

tlheDDI' quvmoHmeH / veng HeHDaq lutlha' / SaD law' nuvpu'
Thousands followed him to the edge of the city, to bid him farewell. (PB)

ghe'tor 'el nuv ghe'torvo' tlheD ghaH / 'e' tu'be'chugh neH veqlargh / ghe'torvo' cheghlaH nuvvam
One can only return from this Underworld, If Fek'lhr does not notice one Entering or leaving Gre'thor. (PB)

tera' jaj cha'maH, jar vagh, DIS wa' Hut cha' Soch, PARIS pawmeH NEW YORK-vo' tlheDta'.
[untranslated] (NASM, Spirit of St. Louis)

--Voragh