[tlhIngan Hol] leS "days from now" and numbers on plural nouns and inherently plural nouns

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Mar 11 23:05:04 PST 2021

Am 11.03.2021 um 13:34 schrieb SuStel:
> But you're not suggesting that *wa'leS* means /one of these days from
> now, /so your other suggestions don't follow the same pattern.
>
> You're reasoning from an English gloss, not the obvious Klingon meaning.
> We have these time words, *leS, Hu', ben, nem, waQ, wen, *which all work
> the same way: add a number to it, and it indicates a point in the future
> or past. The words represent a unit size.

Indeed. This is again a problem of English, not Klingon.

The gloss for {leS} says "days from now", but if it were more precise,
it should have been "1 day from now, (plural) days from now", or maybe
"day(s) from now" - and that would have looked really awkward.

(especially for "one day from now", people would ask "why didn't he just
write tomorrow?")

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"