[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 10 07:29:35 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Klingon word: 	mon
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	capital (of a place)

Quj wa'DIch juH qachmey mebpa'mey je qa' raQmey chu' monmey chu' je
Custom OUTPOSTS and CAPITALS replace original Houses and Hotels. (MKE)

ngIq raQ – 200 QaS, mon – 200 QaS loS raQmey je
Outposts cost 200 each;  capitals, 200 each plus 4 outposts.  (MKE)

wa'maH cha' monmey
12 Capitals  (MKE)

(KGT 10):  In some of the larger cities on Kronos, particularly the capital First City (veng wa'DIch), there are pockets of immigrants from these other planets who maintain their languages and customs but do so pretty much out of the hearing of the majority population.

For capitol (i.e. the building, the seat of government) use {vaS'a'}  "great hall":

yejquv vaS'a' vISuch vIneH
I want to visit the Great Hall of the High Council. (CK)

juHqo'Daq vaS'a' tu'lu'.  ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH
  pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'.
On the Homeworld, there is a great hall where the leaders of the
  Klingon High Council meet to determine policy and decide upon
  the fate of the Empire. (S25)

pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'.  tlhIngan qum waw' 'oH.
This is where the Klingon Great Hall is located, the center of the
  Klingon government. (S27)

(KGT 13):  Following the successful defense of the Great Hall at Qam-Chee, Kahless and Lukara engage in a brief conversation that marks the start of their epic romance.

SEE ALSO:
veng 		city (n)

Don't confuse {mon} "capital" with the verb {mon} "smile, grin, sneer, snarl, smirk".

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen