[tlhIngan Hol] two -bogh clauses on a noun without being joined by 'ej

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 8 06:03:03 PST 2021

On 3/8/2021 8:07 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I know that the usual way of using two -bogh clauses on a noun is by
> joining them with 'ej:
>
> HoHbogh 'ej Qaw'bogh nuH
> weapon which kills and destroys
>
> But is there any rule which is actually being broken if we wrote the
> above without the 'ej?
>
> HoHbogh Qaw'bogh nuH
> weapon which kills which destroys
>
> Why would writing something like this be wrong?

Since a relative clause is treated grammatically like a noun, doing this
breaks no rules. But it's never appeared in canon, and it doesn't appear
to be something that Klingons do.

Look at your English translation: /weapon which kills which destroys./
There's no rule in English that disallows that phrase, but it wouldn't
be said in English. You'd say /weapon which kills and destroys./ Your
phrase breaks no rule, but it's also not right.