[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qang

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 5 07:19:34 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, March 05, 2021

Klingon word: 	qang
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	agree with routinely (slang), always agree with (slang),
		always cooperate with (slang), cooperate with

jIHDaq Daqang
You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me (slang) KGT

(KGT 159):  The literal meaning of the verb {qang} is "pour into", though the slang usage is influenced by the verb suffix {-qang} (willing; compare {QaH}, "He/she helps", and {QaHqang}, "He/she is willing to help"). The slang term may be found in such sentences as {jIHDaq Daqang} ("You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me"; literally, "You pour [something] into me"). To say that someone pours (always agrees) is somewhat derogatory, implying that the agreeing or cooperating may be for ulterior motives. Nonslang equivalents of {qang}, though lacking the negative connotation, are {reH Qochbe'} (always agree), {reH yeq} (always cooperate), and {reH jIj} (always be cooperative)."

There's another idiom with {qang} is  {latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!} "Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass!"

(KGT 118):  This means something along the lines of "I don't believe you; maybe someone else will" or "That is irrelevant to me; maybe someone else will care." The circumstances that prompted the first usage of this saying are unknown, but the imagery is pretty straightforward, especially with the understanding that bloodwine should never be served cold. The expression is always used in this imperative form … A sentence such as {latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang} ("I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass") would be interpreted only literally, though perhaps also as a statement about the poor quality of the beverage.

SEE ALSO:
qang  		pour (from one container into another), pour into (v)
qangtlhIn  	ideology (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen