[tlhIngan Hol] subject of the verb which refers to the verb of a net sao

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 5 05:19:10 PST 2021

> Suppose we want to say: "if someone believes gowron is crazy, he's wrong".

> There are two options:

> maw' ghawran net Harchugh, vaj mujlu'.

> maw' ghawran net Harchugh, vaj muj vay'vam/nuvvam/ghotvam/etc.

Given these two options, I would go with the first; using an indefinite subject and then immediately following it up with a reference to that subject “smells” off to me, even if I can’t necessarily say that it’s wrong.

It's like you're actively avoiding talking about a person, but then you have a reference to the person as though you were just talking about them.

That being said, I would probably not use an indefinite subject here at all; if I intend to refer to the same person twice in quick succession, I would give define them in some way in the first instance. Most likely, I'd use {vay'}, although something like {nuv} or {ghot} would also work.

{maw' ghawran 'e' Harchugh vay', vaj muj [nuvvam/ghotvam/].}

If you need to be very specific, you can use {HarwI'}.

//loghaD