[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qorghwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 1 07:33:09 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, February 28, 2021

Klingon word: qorghwI'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: stopper, cork (for a bottle)
Source: qepHom 2013

(MO interviewed by Lieven, 11/12/2013):  So the cork is the 'thing which does close the hole (of the bottle)' …

(IMO, HQ 8.3):  The word for top is {yor} ... It is not the word used for lid or cover or cap (as in lid of a jar) or removable (and reusable) top of a box. The word for this kind of top or lid or cover is {yuvtlhe'}."

PUN:
cork

SEE:
qorgh  stop up,  fill a hole (v)

(MO interviewed by Lieven, 11/12/2013):  {qorgh} is to "stop up, to fill a hole". You can stop up a hole, but not fill it in with dirt.  That would be {teb}.  {qorgh} is to stop up an opening somehow. It's like filling in, and not put stuff inside. So the word for the cork is a {qorghwI'}.

qorghwI'  	pacifier (qep’a’ 2016)

(qurgh, 7/22/2016):  Maltz said this is not a Klingon thing, but he's seen human babies use these.

SEE ALSO:
bal 		jug, jar, bottle (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen