[tlhIngan Hol] the "be damaged" meaning of rIQ

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 1 05:58:00 PST 2021

On 3/1/2021 7:58 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> The verb {rIQ} has two meanings:
>
> 1. be injured
> 2. be damaged
>
> And we see the "be damaged" meaning in the following Ca'Non sentence:
>
> Dumer DIvI' QaS 'ej DuHIv, vaj bIwunchoH 'ej bIrIQchoH
> Surprise attack by Federation leaves you unprotected and damaged. MKE
>
> What I'm wondering (since I don't know the context of the Ca'Non
> sentence in question) is this:
>
> Can we use the {rIQ} for inanimate objects too (e.g. buildings,
> vessels, etc) meaning that they are damaged, or does the mke sentence
> refer to the physical body of the player which has been damaged i.e.
> injured?

A living body whose structure is compromised sustains /injury;/ a
non-living object whose structure is compromised sustains /damage./ The
two words refer to the same thing, except one refers to living beings,
and the other refers to non-living objects.

Klingon *rIQ* is what you call it when any entity, living or non-living,
has its structure compromised. It does not distinguish between living
and non-living.

In the Monopoly sentence, *bIrIQchoH* is metaphorically referring to
your forces (the ships and bases that make up your forces) as you.