[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Sam

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 29 08:24:30 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Klingon word: 	Sam
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	shawm
Source: 	qepHom 2018

(Lieven, qepHom 2018):  This is a loanword from Federation Standard.

A shawm is a loud medieval and Renaissance double-reed wind instrument, the forerunner of the oboe.  See https://caslabs.case.edu/medren/medieval-instruments/shawm/

(KGT 75):  Wind instruments (there is no overall term for them) range from the simple flute or fife (Dov'agh), generally crafted from a bone, to the highly complex {meSchuS}. [...]  The instrument's pitch and timbre are modified by fingering strategically placed holes in the tubing and by moving the hands in various ways (to move the fingers in this way is to {Heng}).

(HQ 10.2:7):  The verb {Heng} finger holes in a musical instrument" is a general term. When a specific finger is being referred to, one of the finger verbs is usually used…

I.e. {Sen} & {rIl} use the thumb, {SIq} use the index finger, {qay} use the second finger, {qew} use the ring finger, {qan} use the pinkie.

SEE:
rIl 		play (a wind instrument) (v)
  - (HQ 10.2):  This is a brass technique, not a flute technique. Most typically it is used with {gheb} as the object.

PUN:  {gheb rIl}  "Gabriel"!

SEE ALSO:
gheb 		horn (n)
nItlh gheb 	trumpet (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen