[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qaryoq'a'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 1 08:41:47 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 31, 2021

Klingon word: qaryoq'a'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: bird capable of mimicking speech, larger than qaryoq
Source: HQ:v10n4p5

qaryoq  	a bird capable of mimicking speech (n) (HQ 10.4:5)

(HQ 10.4:5):  The plural suffix for birds is usually {-mey}, the general plural suffix, as would be expected. There is a difference of opinion, however, about which plural suffix to use for a few birds capable of mimicking speech, such as the {vIlInHoD} and the {qaryoq} (and the larger {qaryoq'a'}), with some Klingons using {-mey} but others preferring {-pu'}, the plural suffix for beings capable of using language.

PUN:
1. karaoke?
2. Disney's cartoon character José Carioca (he's also a bird capable of mimicking speech, in particular the speech of people from Rio de Janeiro; cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Carioca  )

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen