[tlhIngan Hol] et cetera {latlh je} in reference to nouns or verbs or both

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jun 28 08:39:43 PDT 2021

While {latlh je} might not function with verbs, you can work around that by something like:

jIqettaHvIS, jIvumtaHvIS, jISeDtaHvIS, jIHaDtaHvIS, qoj latlh Qu’ vItoy'taHvIS, jIDoy'choH.

Basically, all the activities you mention serve some kind of mission, and the implied other activities would also serve some kind of mission. Other lists of verbs might involve methods, rather than missions and could use {qoj latlh mIw vIlo’taHvIS}.

Generally, consider what sets the verbs apart from one another and what binds them and find a noun that binds them or use a negated sentence that sets them apart, like:

QongtaHvIS be’nalwI’, jIlaD, jIghItlh, jIba’, qoj chuSbe’bogh Qu’ vItoy'

I prefer {qoj} to {je} because we’re really talking about ANY of these activities, not ALL of these activities. Similarly, consider {joq} for nouns for the same reason. I’d use {je} if I intended to do them all simultaneously or sequentially until the list were complete.

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)