[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DaSjaj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 28 07:34:06 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, June 26, 2021

Klingon word: 	DaSjaj
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	Monday
Source: 	qepHom 2013

DaSjaj buqjaj (je) qubbID maleng
We travel Monday to Friday.
We travel between Monday and Friday. (qep’a’ 2019)

DaSjaj buqjaj (je) qubbID maghom
We meet between Monday and Friday.
We meet Monday to Friday. (qep’a’ 2019)

rav DaSjaj 'aqroS buqjaj maghom
We meet between Monday and Friday.
We meet at some point between Monday and Friday. (qep’a’ 2019)

(MO to Lieven, 3/27/2012):  I'll have to get back to you about names of days of the week. Maltz was very familiar with {jaj wa'} being used for Sunday in the publicity for the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. He said he assumed that whoever used that translation was catering to Americans who were used to considering Sunday the first day of the week, but the way the Klingon system and all of the Earth systems he had heard of overlaid on each other was complex (then he mumbled something about {tlhIngan Hoghmey} and wandered off). When I next find him in a talkative mood, I'll try to figure out what he was referring to.

(De'vID, 11/2013, Maltz answered at qepHom 2013):   tlhIngan Hogh jajmey pongmey bIH.  Delpu' malth.  De' vIQay neH:  DaSjaj "Monday", povjaj "Tuesday", ghItlhjaj "Wednesday", loghjaj "Thursday", "buqjaj" Friday, lojmItjaj/ghInjaj - "Saturday"  ({lojmItjaj} is used for more formal occasions, but both are used interchangeably otherwise).  For weekdays above six, such as found on alien calendars, they're simply counted starting with {jaj wa'} for the seventh weekday:  {jaj wa'} - Terran 'Sunday' (no analogue on the Klingon calendar); note that this is consistent with its usage from Star Trek: The Exhibition  [...]

PUN:
(De'vID, 6/28/2018):  All of the weekdays are references to the lyrics of The Beatles' "Lady Madonna."

SEE:
Hogh  		week (n)
'ISjaH 		calendar (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen