[tlhIngan Hol] Present tense and context

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jun 24 04:29:41 PDT 2021

I’d suggest that in all languages, communication is incomplete and leans heavily upon context. “Can you swim?” has a very different meaning on the deck of the Titanic right after hitting the iceberg.

Klingon doesn’t provide the vague clue about time context that tense would provide. Instead, you anchor time with a stamp and make relative adjustments with the suffixes discussed here, or you don’t provide a time stamp, relying on context, or failing that, you communicate incompletely, hoping the listener guesses well.

Mindful communication requires more work for the speaker and less guessing for the listener.

Sent from my iPhone.
charghwI’