[tlhIngan Hol] Present tense and context

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 23 12:34:42 PDT 2021

Yes, you can use {-pu'} with {-DI'} but it's not common.  In fact, I could only find one example:

   'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq
   We will talk after dinner.  (PK)

You can also use {-ta'} with {-DI'} :

   lojmItDaj veghta'DI' jubbe'wI'
      yInqa'meH chegh 'e' botnIS qotar
      qeylIS HoHmeH qotar qeylIS SamnIS
   Still, Kotar cannot let a mortal
      Pass his gates and return alive,
      Kahless must be hunted down and killed.  (PB)

   QIStaq 'emDaq jenchoH jul,
      yor DungDaq Salta'DI'
      tagh HarghchuqmeH poH
   The sun rises high behind the Kri'stak,
      When it rises over its top,
      It is time to do battle.  (PB)

I couldn't find any examples of {-pa'} with a Type 7 aspect suffix however.

--Voragh