[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HuS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 21 06:51:32 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, June 19, 2021

Klingon word: 	HuS
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	hang

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

CULTURAL NOTES:
   "Traditional clothing worn in battle, known as {Hip}, the word currently used to mean uniform, had both a protective function and a more utilitarian one, since it was from the clothing that weapons (nuHmey) or ammunition ({nIch}) could be hung." (KGT 57)

   "A skin belt ({qogh}) both held pants ({yopwaH}) in place and provided a place from which to hang weapons or weapon holders." (KGT 58)

   "As this word [{ghIgh}] literally means necklace, perhaps the slang usage is based on the old practice of identifying one's position within a military unit--for example, one's assignment on a ship--by means of a symbol hung on a chain worn around the neck." (KGT 150)

SEE ALSO:
vel 		cover, coat, mask (v)
no' DIr 		ancestor hanging (n)

N.B. {HuS} is also a female Klingon name:  e.g. {HuS 'atrom puqbe'} Huss, daughter of A'trom [KGT 197].

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen