[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhombuS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 18 08:39:24 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, June 18, 2021

Klingon word: 	tlhombuS
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	type of food, *Klombus*

(KGT 93):  If heat is used as part of food preparation, the cook is most likely to {mIQ} (deep-fry) the food. This involves first acquiring {tlhagh} (animal fat) from any available source and then heating it up so that it boils (the general word for boil is pub, but the verb used specifically to refer to the boiling of fat is {'Im} [render]). After it has been boiling for a while, the food to be fried is tossed in (sometimes having been coated in some kind of paste), and it stays there until it has soaked up as much of the {tlhagh} (fat) as possible. A particularly popular dish, {tlhombuS}, requires that the cook coat a block of {tlhagh} with a mixture of {ngat} (herbed granulated cartilage) and {tIr} (grain) and then briefly immerse the block into the already boiling fat, just until the coating hardens.

"I've always imagined it a bit like deep-fried breaded camembert cheese, which is also essentially fat fried in fat." (Philip Newton, 11/17/2011)

"I always thought of simple fried mozzarella sticks." (ghunchu'wI', 11/17/2011)

PUN:
thrombus  (a blood clot, usually caused by a diet much too rich in cholesterol)

SEE ALSO:
ngogh 		block, lump (n)
nIm wIb ngogh  cheese (n)
HaH 		marinate (v)
pID 		coat (food) with herbed mixture (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen