[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: namtun

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 14 08:25:45 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, June 14, 2021

Klingon word: 	namtun
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	the familiar beginning of a song

(HQ 12.2:8-9):  For an opera, play, story, speech, and so on, the final portion is its {bertlham} … The {bertlham} of a well-known work is often well-known itself, as is its beginning ({bI'reS}).  For a song—but only for a song—the final portion is its {'o'megh}.  Parallel to {bertlham},  {'o'megh} is the final phrase or so of the song, one that brings the song to a definite conclusion … To begin to sing a song is to {lIH} (literally, "introduce") the song, and that portion of the song that comes at the beginning—a portion that is often so familiar that listeners know what song it is after hearing just that short portion—is the {namtun}.

PUN:  "Name That Tune" (U.S. radio and TV show)

bom  		sing, chant (v)
much  		present, perform (music) (v)
qat  		accompany (singing) with instrumental music (v)

QoQ		music (n)
bom  		song, chant (n)
bomwI' 		singer ("one who sings") (n)
muchwI' 	musician ("one who performs music") (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen