[tlhIngan Hol] skybox 3 and {De'} data information singular or plural

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jun 10 07:01:33 PDT 2021

On 6/10/2021 9:25 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> On/in/at SkyBox 3 there's the following:
>
> 'ejyo' luch rurbe'qu' tlhIngan Duj luch. HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je
> lo' Duj nuH pat Hub pat je. motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha'
> tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'. motlh pIm 'ejyo' Dujmey.
>
> Klingon starship design is vastly different from Starfleet technology.
> A huge amount of the ship's power and technology is devoted to its
> weapons grid and defensive systems. Unlike most Starfleet vessels, the
> main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a complex
> target acquisition grid.
>
> (I wrote on/in/at, since I have no idea what the jay' SkyBox 3 is, nor
> do I give a crap to find out either).
>
> Anyways.. If I understand this Ca'Non sentence correctly, the {ray'
> luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh} is a construction where there's the {-meH}'ed
> noun of {luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh} with the {De' Qatlh} being meant as
> "difficult/complex informations", and in turn, the {luSamlaHmeH De'
> Qatlh} has as its' object the {ray'}.

No, I think *De' Qatlh* is the object of *cha'.* Complex data does not
find targets

*motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH, De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'.*

The real question is, what is the subject of *luSamlaHmeH?* I think it's
the *nuH pat* and *Hub pat* of the previous sentence. This flows
naturally the way the Klingon sentences are arranged.

> If the way I understand this is correct, then this shows that a
> {-meH}'ed noun can take an object, and that the {De'} "data,
> information" can be pluralized.

I don't think this card proves either of these points. I wouldn't have a
problem with a purpose clause attached to a noun having an object
anyway. We already have one with implicit object and subject: *qaSuchmeH
'eb*/opportunity for me to visit you/
(klingonska.org/canon/1998-01-18b-news.txt
<http://klingonska.org/canon/1998-01-18b-news.txt>).