[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: toch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 4 09:22:26 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	toch
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	palm (of hand)

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(KGT 74f.):  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}.  Some types of 'In are struck with the hand, either palm ({toch}) or fist ({ro'}), depending on the particular instrument.  To hit the instrument with the palm is {weq}; to strike it with the fist is {tlhaw'}.

(qep’a’ 2020):  The most common way to refer to the clapping that Humans do is by the phrase {toch yo} "slap palm(s).”

(KGT 58):  The gloves did not have fingers. They were designed to protect the palm, back of the hand, and wrist, but to not interfere with the mobility of a warrior's fingers. Modern gloves ({poghmey}) generally adhere to this design.

SEE:
ro'  		fist (n)

(KGT 69):  To challenge one to a duel to the death, one hits one's adversary with the back of the hand (chap). If one is hitting someone for some other reason, such as simple enjoyment, one uses the fist (ro').

(qep'a' 2018):  But there’s also an idiomatic expression: {ro’ mojchugh ghIt} "if the flat hand becomes a fist".  Used in a similar fashion to the English "on the other hand".

SEE ALSO:
DeS 		arm (n)
ghop 		hand [general] (n)
ghIt 		open, flat hand (n)
chap 		back of hand (n)
nItlh 		finger (n)
nItlhpach 	fingernail (n)
yo		slap (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen