[tlhIngan Hol] new word {mur}

Fiat Knox fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 13:35:02 PDT 2021

Flinching and cringing in distaste is the response of every Klingon to tribbles. Not so much cringing in fear, as squirming at the sight of the repellent parasites.Also, remember Lursa and B'Etor's reaction to the sight of Dr Beverly Crusher looming over Geordi in Star Trek: Generations?    On Friday, 30 July 2021, 16:19:08 BST, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

 I think cringe also carries a reaction to extremely bad taste. Think the body language accompanying the use of {wejpuH}. Think of Kruge speaking of the Federation, with lots of little houses with white picket fences.
Flinch definitely has more associations with fear relating to pain or reacting to the direct experience of pain. It covers a withdrawal from a decision. “He flinched,” is a legitimate expression of “He withdrew from the conflict.” The game of chicken tests who will flinch first (or both die because nobody flinched).

And to add more confusion to the subtleties, I tend to think of “flinch” in reaction to pain, while cringe and wince tend to be more removed, either as empathy for others, like your reaction when you watch fail videos of people you know must have been seriously hurt and embarrassed, or in anticipation of predictable, but not yet experienced pain.

- charghwI’ ‘utlh[ghaH, ghaH, -Daj]