[tlhIngan Hol] Beginner's text and questions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jul 23 11:46:11 PDT 2021

On 7/23/2021 2:28 PM, luis.chaparro at web.de wrote:
> SuStel:
>
>> I suspect you actually mean either wej Hogh rej CádizDaq maghIQtaH be'nalwI' jIH je Three weeks ago, my wife and I were vacationing in Cádiz or qaStaHvIS wej Hogh vorgh, maghIQtaH be'nalwI' jIH je During the last three weeks, my wife and I have been vacationing in Cádiz.
> I actually mean the last one, but I used *ret* because I found this example on *boQwI'*: *qaStaHvIS cha' tup ret jIQuch*, with *ret* meaning *be most recent*...

Aha, I did not remember the relatively recent addition of *ret */be more
recent./ Your sentence is correct.

>> This is a little tricky because we don't fully know all the rules involved, but I think you probably want to use leghlu'meH to match up with the lupoQlu'.
> Ok. I've read in the *Klingon Grammar Addenda* by Terrence Donnelly that *when the subject of the purpose clause is indefinite, you can indicate this with -lu' or by 3rd person zero-suffix and no stated subject noun*. I thought it was something commonly accepted. So, you are suggesting I should always use *-lu'* in such constructions, or maybe only in this case because I was using *-lu'* with *poQ* (as a matter of style)?

In general, but not absolutely, we've seen subjects or indefinite
subjects on purpose clauses attached to verbs, but no subjects or
indefinite subjects on purpose clauses attached to nouns. There have
been exceptions. This is not a rule found in TKD, and we have no
explanation for why the apparent rule seems to apply most of the time
but not all the time. That's why I said it's tricky.

>>> Do'Ha' 'ewrop lughoSmeH, SuDqu' QIlbogh nuv law'.
>> Unfortunately, in order to go to Europe, many desperate people are very near. I'm not sure that a purpose clause is appropriate here. The many desperate people are not near in order to go to Europe.
> I was trying to say *many desperate people risk a lot*. I found *SuD* on boQwI', meaning *gamble, take a chance, take a risk*. I don't know if it's correct here.

Heh, I misread *SuD* as *Sum.* My mistake.

>>> Actually, *Do'Ha'* modifies the whole sentence, but I'm not sure about how it works in Klingon.
>> I struggle with this as well, but I don't think there's a clear answer. Can you split one sentence with a subordinate clause? I dunno.
> Ok, thank you. Anyway, *Do'Ha'* at the beginning doesn't sound very bad, right?

I don't personally have a problem with it.