[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Sam

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sat Jul 3 05:40:42 PDT 2021

Am 30.06.2021 um 00:15 schrieb Will Martin:
> FWI, that thing might be a {Sam}, but it is NOT a shawm. They didn’t
> have valves in Medieval and Renaissance times, and a shawm had ONE bell,
> not one for each note, and a shawm is a wooden instrument, not a metal one.

Oh that is interesting, and basically, you are right.

BUT... The thing that Okrand is playing here really is *some kind of*
shawm.

I am not an expert, but I'll try to explain: The German word for shawm
is Schalmei, and that originally referred to what you desscribed, the
mideval thing made of wood with only one pipe. But over time, that
device developped, was combined with more pipes and was made of metal.

So maybe that has a different name in English, possible. I don't know. I
guess Maltz also does not know.

But anyhow: This device we see here is no doubt called "Schalmei" in
German, the English word we found for it is "shawm" and Maltz just
called it {Sam}.

So whatever you call that device Okrand plays in the video, Maltz calls
it {Sam}.

(And honestly, I'm curious to find out what it'S called in English).

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"