[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'erwI'Daq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 25 07:30:04 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, January 25, 2021

Klingon word: 	'erwI'Daq
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	telepathy
Source: 	qep'a' 27  [2020]

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

SEE:
tova'Daq 	*tova'dok*,  mind sharing (n)

"a moment of clarity between two warriors on the battlefield; much is said without the need for words" (DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire").  Cf. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tova%27dok

WORF: I am still troubled by the death of that Klingon officer.
DAX:     Your report said it was self-defense.
WORF: That is not the point. I should have seen what he was going to do.
DAX:     What do you mean? From the way you described it, he was standing
              so close to you, you couldn't have seen the knife in his hand.
WORF: He decided to kill me while I was looking him right in the eyes
             and I never saw it. But Kurn did, and he was three meters away.
DAX:    Worf, I don't think you can tell someone's going to kill you by
             looking at them.
WORF: A Klingon can. It is an instinct. The ability to look someone in
             the eyes and see the decision to kill.  An instinct I no longer
             have. Kurn was right. I have lived with humans so long I no
             longer think like a Klingon.  [DS9 “The Sons of Mogh”]

(KGT 204):  Thus, Federation Standard has no word meaning the same as Klingon {tova'Daq}, a sort of mind sharing or insight into one another's thoughts

(KGT 207):  there are some words that simply do not translate. One must resort to descriptions rather than simple one- or two-word translations, and one must be a quite facile in the language and knowledgeable of the culture to understand the concepts. The Klingon notion of sharing of minds noted above, {tova'Daq}, is an example of such a word.

SEE ALSO:
Duj 		instincts (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen