[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: botjan

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 11 07:45:00 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, January 09, 2021

Klingon word: botjan
Part of speech: noun
Definition: shields, protective force fields on a ship

botjan yIchu'
Raise shields!   KCD

bISuvtaHvIS qarDaS bIghHa' peQ botjan Daveghchu'
Fight your way beyond magnetic shield of Cardassian prison. MKE

(Okrand in KCD):  The Klingon word {botjan} refers to shields or protective force-fields on a ship. The hand-held shield associated with traditional hand-to-hand combat is called {yoD}.

(KGT 67):  The verb form of "shield" is also {yoD}, and to "shield oneself" is {yoD'egh}.  (Although the Federation Standard word shields refers to both the old hand-held protective armor, and the force field protecting a vessel--the newer meaning clearly based on the older--in Klingon, there is no connection between the two. The force field on a ship is called {botjan}. To shield a ship, one must activate the shields, or {botjan chu'} ...)

SEE:
begh botjan 		deflector shield(s) (n)
peQ botjan 		magnetic shield (n)

SEE ALSO:
begh 			deflectors (n)
Surchem 		force field (n)
HoSchem 		energy field (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen