[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngat

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 5 07:19:33 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Klingon word: ngat
Part of speech: noun
Definition: herbed granulated cartilage (for food preparation)

(KGT 89f):  if [the meat] is fresh, the "cook" may {pID} it, which involves coating it with herbed granulated cartilage (not necessarily from the same animal) mixed with some kind of {tIr} (grain) and doing very little else. The name of the granulated cartilage is {ngat}, which has also come to mean gunpowder. Meat prepared in this way is sometimes described as {wamwI' Ha'DIbaH} (hunter's meat), but the specific animal name is usually used instead of the word {Ha'DIbaH} (meat); for example, {wamwI' mIl'oD} (hunter's sabre bear).

(KGT 93):  A particularly popular dish, {tlhombuS}, requires that the cook coat a block of {tlhagh} [animal fat] with a mixture of {ngat} (herbed granulated cartilage) and {tIr} (grain) and then briefly immerse the block into the already boiling fat, just until the coating hardens.

(qep’a’ 2019):  A {paSjav} is a Klingon tree whose bark is cut into strips and eaten along with certain foods or else is ground up (like {ngat}) and added to some other kinds of foods. … Non-Klingons who eat too much {paSjav} tend to start coughing. Klingons think this is pretty funny and never seem to tire of it.

SEE:
ngat  		gunpowder (n)

SEE ALSO:
Say'qIS 		dust, powder (n)
pul 		be ground up (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last