[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'urwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 28 07:20:23 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, January 28, 2021

Klingon word: 	'urwI'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	traitor

'urwI' HoHmeH ghopDu'Daj neH lo'meH qeylIS 'etlhDaj chagh
And Kahless dropped his sword to kill the traitor with bare hands (PK)

HumanvaD 'urwI' wIDam
We treat the human as a traitor. (qep’a’ 2019)

'urwI' ghaH 'e' vIDam
I consider him (to be) a traitor. (qep’a’ 2019)

SEE:
'ur  		commit treason (v)
'urmang 	treason (n)

SEE ALSO:
magh  		betray;  act against (S26) (v)
maghwI'	traitor [difference from {'urwI'} unknown (n)

(KGT 157):  compare {maghwI'} "traitor" and {maghwI'na'} "definite traitor, without a doubt a traitor"

  maghwI'Daq jISIq
  I point at the traitor with my index finger.
  I point out the traitor with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIq naQjej
  The spear points at the traitor.
  He/she points at the traitor with his/her spear. (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIq naQjejwIj
  My spear points at the traitor.
  I point at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIqmeH naQjejwIj lo' SuvwI'
  The warrior uses my spear to point at the traitor.
  The warrior points at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

bolwI' 		traitor (slang) (n)

(KGT 147):  This word [{bolwI'}] actually means "drooler" -- that is, one who drools. The nonslang word meaning traitor is {maghwI'} (literally, one who betrays). [...]  Probably because of the parallel formation of {bolwI'} and {maghwI'} (that is, verb plus {-wI'}), the verb {bol} (drool) is sometimes used to mean betray, as if it were equivalent to {magh}. In this usage, {bol}, like {magh}, may take an object; that is, the sentence may indicate who is betrayed: {mumaghpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me") or {mubolpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me"; literally, "He/she has drooled me").

matlhHa'  	be disloyal (v)

“Romulans – they’re so predictably treacherous.” (Weyoun, DS9 “Image in the Sand”)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen