[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIw

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 15 08:44:13 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, January 15, 2021

Klingon word: lIw
Part of speech: noun
Definition: temporary substitute, stand-in

  polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
  6 collectible tokens  (MKE)

(HQ 5.1):  The word {qa'meH} ... has become accepted as a noun in its own right, meaning replacement in the sense of something that takes over for or is used instead of something that is gone or that has been lost. It is not used for a temporary substitute or a stand-in; the word for that is {lIw}.

PUN: 		"in lieu of"

SEE:
lIw mu’  	pronoun (n) (qep’a’ 2020)
QujwI' lIw  	game token (n)

SEE ALSO:
qa'meH  	replacement [permanent] (n)
velqa' 		replica (n)

tam 		substitute (v)
gheS 		assume duties of, take on responsibilities (v)
ru' 		be temporary (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen