[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: much

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 7 07:56:15 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, January 07, 2021

Klingon word: 	much
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	perform (music)

tlhIHvaD paq chu' wImuch 'e' bochaw'mo' chequvmoH 'ej chebelmoH.
lut'a'raj Dun laDlaHmeH tera'ngan, tera'Daq tlhIngan lut'a' paq wa'DIch
wIchenmoHta', lut'a' 'oH paq'batlh'e'.
It is a great honor and pleasure that you have allowed us to present you
with the first Terran edition of your glorious epic, the paq'batlh.
(Vincent Van Gerven Oei's speech at qepHom 10)

may' ghe'naQ[na'] lumuchrup tera'nganpu'.  ghorgh lumuch?
We Terrans will be performing an authentic battle opera.  When, you ask?
 ('u'-MTK)

(KGT 71):  The word for perform music, whether instrumental or vocal and instrumental together, is {much}, which in other contexts means present, as in present a gift to someone.

(KGT 71) :  From the Klingon point of view, a song is not the product of an individual's mind. It has somehow always existed and is waiting for someone (the songwriter or, more accurately, song recorder, {qonwI'}) to transcribe it ({qon}) and then present it ({much}) to others.

(De’vID < MO, 3/01/2019):  I got confirmation from Maltz that {lol} does not take an object when used for a martial arts stance. The verb to use for that is {much}. […]  {much} is used for striking a pose, and takes the named stance as the object.

(KGT 70):  Although Klingon music is performed rather infrequently outside of the Empire, music plays a vital role in Klingon culture, particularly vocal music.

(KGT 72):  Traditional Klingon music is generally performed only by those who have had a great deal of training. The study of this type of music, whether composition or performance, is considered a discipline not unlike a martial art. There are precise forms and complex rules, and mastery of the techniques takes years of study and practice. Traditional Klingon musical forms date back to the time of Kahless, if not earlier, and have shown little variation since then.

PUN:
MuchMusic ?

SEE:
much  			presentation,  (television)  show (n)
  -  (qepHom 2017 p.12):  I think I'd use {much} for show (or even movie) rather than {ghe'naQ} (unless, of course, it really is an opera). I think {HaSta much} (or even {HaSta jIH much}) is fine for TV show.

HaSta much 		feature film, movie (Netflix) (n)
ja’bogh much 		documentary (Netflix) (n)
mI'wI' much 		dance show (n)
Qe' much 		cabaret (n)
much Qe'  		cabaret  (n)
mI'wI' much  		dance show (n)

muchpa'  		theater,  auditorium [i.e. room, hall] (n)
much qach  		theater (i.e. building) (n)
  -  (MO to De'vID, 3/2015):  If Bloomsbury Theatre refers to the whole building - auditorium, lobby, dressing rooms, {puchpa'mey}), not just the room where the performance takes place - he'd go with {much qach}.

muchwI'  		musician  (n)

SEE ALSO:
bom  			sing,  chant (v)
wup 			burst into song (v)
Huy 			hum (v)
Hampun 		yodel (v)
ra' 			conduct (orchestra) (lit. "sommand") (v)
chu' 			play [a musical instrument] (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen