[tlhIngan Hol] how do we use the chenHa' meyrI'?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 12 06:49:57 PST 2021

It seems to be an expression, like “the earth moved” in English which means the opposite:
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+earth+moved
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/earth-moved

__
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel
On 2/12/2021 8:02 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
During the 2020 qepHom, we learned that one way to express "fail to climax" (sexually) is by the slang phrase {chenHa' meyrI'}.
maj. But how do we use this phrase? If there's an alien who "fails to climax sexually" what do we say?
Do we say {meyrI' chenHa'moHpu' nov}?

You say chenHa' meyrI'. The context will make clear the application.

Compare English the penny drops. You say this phrase to mean that someone has suddenly understood something that has been eluding them. You don't change it to say things like John drops the penny or the penny drops on John or anything like that. You just say the penny drops and the context is understood.

This is how I understand chenHa' meyrI'. To say the alien fails to climax sexually using the slang phrase, you talk about the alien, then say chenHa' meyrI'.