[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhuH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 23 07:22:08 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Klingon word:   tlhuH
Part of speech: noun
Definition:         breath

(HQ 12.4:8):  Air, for example, comes into and out of the nose or mouth. The word for breath is {tlhuH}, and that for breathe is also {tlhuH}.  To breathe in, or inhale, is {pur}; to breathe out, or exhale, is {rech}. To breathe noisily, or wheeze, is {jev}. … To breathe even more noisily, or snore, is {wuD}.

SEE:
tlhuH  		breathe (v)

  jItlhuH
  I breathe. KGT

  Suvbe'chugh SuvwI' tlhuHbe' SuvwI'
  If a warrior does not fight, he does not breathe. TKW

(qep’a’ 2016):  [Maltz] said that this [{lay}] is some sort of technical term. It would be odd to say {lay vItlhuH} for "I breathe air", but it would be understood.

tlhuH  		be exhilarated, be stimulated, be invigorated (slang) KGT

(KGT 165):  Literally meaning "breathe", this word is used in such expressions as {jItlhuH} ("I am exhilarated, it's exhilarating to me"; literally, "I breathe"). Perhaps a near equivalent in standard Klingon is {Sey} (be excited).

SEE ALSO:
lay 		air (technical term) (n)
rewve’ 		air (everyday word) (n)
muD 		atmosphere (n)
SuS 		wind (n)
SIp 		gas (n)

Hob 		yawn (v)
ruq 		belch (v)
tlhov 		wheeze (v)
chuy 		sneeze (v)
largh 		smell, sense odors (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen