[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "they are there"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Feb 17 05:22:07 PST 2021

Am 17.02.2021 um 14:12 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:

> Now forget the romulans, and assume we want to say "they are there",
> without specifying who these "they" actually are. Shouldn't we write the
> following?
>
> pa' chaHtaH chaH'e'
> they are there
>
> Wouldn't this be the correct way to say it? It seems weird, but I can't
> see anything wrong with it.

We have the canon examples:
- {naDev bIHtaH} "here they are."
and
- {pa'Daq jIHtaH} "I am in the room"

Although not a written rule, it looks like the {-taH} is added to say
"be at a location". The continuous meaning does make sense here: it is
not said when it started, and not when it ends. The subject is "being"
at the location.

> So, the only reasonable choice is saying {pa' chaHtaH chaH'e'}. But am I
> correct on this?

That sounds weird. It sound like what you suggested "they are The There".

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"