[tlhIngan Hol] is the choice between -Daq and -vaD influenced by the way something is given?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 15 08:21:48 PST 2021

On 2/15/2021 10:19 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> To be honest, when I read {yaSvaD taj vIqem}, I envisioned someone
> walking with the officer on his beat, carrying the officer’s knife,
> ready to hand it to him whenever he requested it. I would have used
> {-Daq} if you really meant that you were some place other than near
> the officer and you carried the knife to the location of the officer
> in order to participate in the event of giving the knife to the
> officer. More explicitly, I would have said {yaSvaD taj vInobmeH
> yaSDaq taj vIqem.}

*yaSvaD taj vIqem* means both that you bring a knife for the benefit of
an officer and that you bring a knife in order to give it to an officer
(the only interpretation of /bring/indirect object officer/ I can think
of). In isolation it doesn't mean only one of those things. All you need
is some context to make it clear whether *-vaD *is acting as a
beneficiary or the more specific subset of that, an indirect object. You
don't need that whole sentence with the purpose clause to get this
across: *yaSvaD taj vIqem* will mean that when you're talking about a
situation in which you bring a knife to an officer to give it to him or her.

The English preposition /to/ can mean different things in different
contexts. /I bring the knife to the officer/ uses /to/ to introduce a
locative. /I give the knife to the officer/ uses /to/ to introduce an
indirect object. So too does the Klingon suffix *-vaD* mean different
things in different contexts. /To/ and *-vaD* just have different
meanings at different times. They are not equivalent.