[tlhIngan Hol] using chegh without an object

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Feb 18 12:25:50 PST 2021

Just to be clear:

I never put anything in the New Words List without citing the source. That’s the whole point of the list — to be an index to words that are listed in official sources. The sources are scattered, but the New Words List points to all of them from one place. The New Words List is never the official source of any Klingon word.

I just checked my own database, which reflects the New Words List as it existed when I maintained it. It lists {chegh} as “return”, not “return (to)” with the source being TKD. Unless there’s a difference between the E->K / K->E sides of TKD or some later source appends or changes the definition, TKD words were not placed in the New Words List. I did list words that exist in both TKD and the Addendum, since people looking up a word in TKD might think they are done and not double check the Addendum, never learning about the expanded definition.

TKD is full of OLD words, not NEW words, hence the title New Words List. I’m the guy who came up with that title, and I did it for a reason.

This suggests that I’m not the person who put {chegh} in the New Words List.

So, looking at the New Words List, the source is listed as NEWS. The “Works cited” list at the bottom of the page doesn’t have a listing for NEWS, so I can’t tell you who put this word on the list or what work it cites. I’m as clueless as you on this.

As for “prepositional relationships”, I’m not a professional linguist. I don’t even play one on TV. I’m an amateur enthusiast. I use the best terms I know. You are probably right. I should be talking about locatives.

I was simply trying to explain that nouns have a lot of different roles in a sentence. While there’s an obvious difference between a verb’s direct object and the object of a preposition in terms of grammar, there is no global rule that dictates whether a specific verb can use a specific noun as its direct object, or if that noun would require a preposition (in English) or a Type 5 noun suffix (in Klingon).

The Moon goes around the Earth.

The Moon orbits the Earth.

The Moon orbits around the Earth.

These all mean exactly the same thing. There is not so much as a shade of meaning difference among them.

The verb “go” requires the preposition. Omitting it completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

The verb “orbit” doesn’t require the preposition.

{chegh} is apparently something akin to the English “orbit”, while its gloss “return” is not.

Most verbs don’t have a location as the direct object. {chegh} does. The English word “return” is a lot more complicated.

In particular, without canon to clarify, the gloss is insufficient to differentiate between “I return to the ship” and “I return a book to the library”. More accurately, the former could also be stated as “I return myself to the ship” and the latter could be stated as “I cause the book to return to the library.”

That’s a common feature of many verbs in English. It exists in Klingon, but so far as we know, it’s more common to be like {vIH} where the subject is always the object in motion, unless we add the suffix {-moH}, where we split the roles of the noun causing the motion and the noun in motion. Without {-moH}, they are one and the same.

But we have other Klingon verbs where the one causing the motion is always the subject of the verb and we have to use {-‘egh} to indicate that the one causing the action of the verb is also the one performing the action.

And the gloss doesn’t always indicate which of these three cases are true:

1. The one performing the action is subject and we use {-moH} to refer to the one causing the action to occur.

2. The one causing the action is subject and we use {-‘egh} to refer to the one performing the action to be the same one who is causing it.

3. We don’t know if it’s case 1 or 2 or if either one is fine. Let context decide.

Myself, being foolish enough to wish that Klingon could be a language in which things can be said more clearly than in English, I’ve always favored definitions that made it clear which of the three cases apply to each verb, but it’s a fool’s goal. I’d love for case 3 to be forbidden, but if wishes were fishes…

It’s not my language. I just get to use it. Happiness is easier to achieve if I’m content with just that.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.