[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "they are there"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Feb 17 11:38:05 PST 2021

Am 17.02.2021 um 18:05 schrieb De'vID:
> Read the part in TKD 6.3 where it says "In the above examples, the
> subjects are pronouns. If the subject is a noun, it follows the
> third-person pronoun...". The fact that pronouns and nouns are treated
> differently here rules out your substitution.

That is all correct. But I do not see a strict rule saying that it is
"not possible" to do what mayqel suggested. The rule only says what to
do when the the subject is a noun. I still believe that when we apply
the rule described in chapter 3.3.5 talking about emphasis, mayqel's
suggestion might work.

All just theoretically, but if you really take things exactly as
written, that chapter also says. (upper case added for emphasis)

"This suffix emphasizes that the NOUN to which it is attached is the
topic of the sentence. In English, this is frequently accomplished by
stressing the NOUN [...]

And then, the first given example uses a PRONOUN.

{jIlujpu' jIH'e'}
"I, and only I, have failed."
"It is I who has failed."

So, in this case, pronouns and nouns are NOT treated differently. o_O

- - - - -

I read {DujDaq maHtaH maH'e'} as an emphasis as the English "WE are in
the shuttle." And I do not see where it breaks a rule.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"