[tlhIngan Hol] law' puS with the -taHvIS and type-9 clauses preceding each element

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 11 11:14:02 PST 2021

I see a lot of assumptions going on about what this Klingon sentence —
not the English translation — means.

Let's check that by first noting that the comparative/superlative
/literally/ means /A's Q is many; B's Q is few./ It doesn't follow basic
sentence syntax, but that's okay: we're told that comparatives and
superlatives have their own construction.

*reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS*

So what is the scope of *reH?* What is the scope of *latlh qabDaq?*

We know that *latlh qabDaq* cannot be attached to *qul* because a type 5
noun suffix cannot be anywhere in a noun-noun construction but at the end.

We can suppose both *reH* and *latlh qabDaq* belong to the space before
sentences: *[reH] [latlh qabDaq] [qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS].* This
would mean /Fire's hot is many, and all else's hot is few; this is true
always and on another's face./

We might also suppose that the *reH* remains before the main sentence
but that *latlh qabDaq* modifies something else, and *qul* just gets in
the way because of the odd syntax. It might be attached to *tuj:*
/fire's hot-on-another's-face is many, and all else's hot is few; this
is always true./ Or it might be attached to *law':* /fire's hot is many
///on-another's-face, /and all else's hot is few; this is always true.
/

Given the odd syntax of the comparative/superlative, the unexplained
nature of observed modifiers outside of that construction, the fairly
non-literal nature of the proverb (What the heck does it MEAN that the
fire is hotter on someone else's face? What fire? Hotter than what?
Hotter than another fire?), and the very fact that Klingon proverbs are
prone to containing grammatical exceptions, I don't see how we can draw
any solid conclusions.