[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pIvyoch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 5 07:22:26 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, February 05, 2021

Klingon word: 	pIvyoch
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	a rather pungent Klingon beverage
Source: 	qep'a' 26  [2019]

(qep’a’ 2019):  In the TNG episode "Heart of Glory", the Klingon ordering food and drink (from the food replicator) says he wants {'o'mat ghIrI'}, which is some sort of meat and pasta-like concoction.  Then he specifies that the fat in the food should be boiled, one of the optional ways to prepare this dish.  He says {tI'Im!} "boil (the fat [in the entrees])!"  He uses the prefix {tI-} because there are three separate entrees.  Finally, he orders a special, rather pungent Klingon beverage known as {pIvyoch}.

In the subtitles (or someone's transcript) his food order was rendered as *O'Mat Gri T'M pffiots*.

BTW, how do we know that {pIvyoch} is "rather pungent"?  I'm sure most Klingon food is by human standards.  <g>

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen