[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hotlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 4 09:37:40 PST 2021

Thanks for checking.  I’ve removed the offending phrase from my records.

BTW are you sure you didn’t hear {‘eH}?  Perhaps you thought it a grunt or a hesitation sound?  (I can’t check, as my computer doesn’t play sound.)  In my notes I have:

  'eH!
  Ready!  STMP  (response to a command, i.e. "Standing by")
[This was one of the eleven original Klingon words created by James Doohan and Jon Povill, spoken by Mark Lenard (through a set of prosthetic teeth) in the opening scene of STMP which Marc Okrand subsequently used as the basis for tlhIngan Hol.]

(TKD p.57):  {SuH}, {Su'} and {'eH} all mean that the speaker is about to give a command.  They are comparable to the "Ready!" at the beginning of a race: "Ready! Set! Go!"  {SuH} and {Su'}, but not {'eH}, can also be used to indicate that the speaker is ready to do something or that arrangements have been made for something to happen.  Some speakers of Klingon pronounce {SuH} as if it were {SSS}, almost like the English expression for "be quiet": shhh!

If {‘eH} wasn’t in STMP, I wonder where Okrand got it and why he felt the need to group it with {SuH} / {Su’} / {SSS} in TKD.  AFAIK it appears nowhere else.

--
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel