[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yaDpach

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 2 11:31:07 PST 2021

On 2/2/2021 2:11 PM, De'vID wrote:
> The reason it's in the {boQwI'} database is because there are several
> users who use it to read KLI mailing list emails, and *{yaDpach} has
> been used enough times as if it were just a normal word that people
> expected it to be analysed.

Much better would be if people seeing *yaDpach* would look it up and
find no entry at all. The meaning would be clear: it's not a word.

> Look at who the author of these threads is:
> {yaDpach DIngDaq tI DuQwIj} -
> https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2000/October/msg00073.html
> <https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2000/October/msg00073.html>
> {be'nalwI' yaDDu'} -
> https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2011/August/msg00001.html
> <https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2011/August/msg00001.html>

Which just goes to show the level of confusion this non-word has caused,
when one of the people arguing against it has been using it himself. If
charghwI' doesn't recognize a non-word when he uses it, what chance does
a new student have?

> {boQwI'} isn't only a lexicon but a grammar and word analyser, but
> it's used by people to read things authored by people other than Marc
> Okrand.

But most people don't understand that. No matter how many "not
canonical"s and question marks and asterisks you add to it, someone who
looks up /toenail/ and finds *yaDpach* isn't going to look at the fine
print... or if they do, they'll say, "But I need this word, and here is
boQwI' offering it to me."