[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yaDpach

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 2 08:35:51 PST 2021

I’m with SuStel on this one.

As convenient as it would be to have a word for toenail, and as logical as this parallel-to-another-word-we-have as this may be, if it’s not in the lexicon, it’s not in the lexicon. We can ask Okrand/Maltz for it, but we can’t just take it for ourselves.

We could also use it, marking it perhaps with an asterisk, just to remind ourselves that it’s not a Klingon word, even if we really, REALLY need the word “toenail” in our precious tlhIngan communications, and we humans who are speaking Klingon can understand, even if we are using a local-community-created neologism, extending the vocabulary beyond the Emperor’s dialect. Perhaps in conversation, we might raise our hands and make air quotes.

Basically, this isn’t English. In Klingon, unlike English, we can’t glom new smorphs whenever we want and expect everyone to grock our synosinclastic symnabulisms.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.