[tlhIngan Hol] Maltz about vaccines and vaccination

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Feb 28 09:00:42 PST 2021

Today I received a message from Maltz regarding the way of talking about
vaccines and vaccination. The message is archived on qepHom.de and in
the Klingon Language Wiki.

http://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz_210228_vaccination.html

http://klingon.wiki/Word/JavtImRaS-IS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Maltz thought that {javtIm raS'IS} could be used for "vaccine," adding
that it's really a shortened form of {javtIm ngeb raS'IS} but, in
context, nobody gets confused (except anti-vaxxers). Use of the term
{raS'IS} is a holdover from ancient forms of medicine.

This noun is typically the object of the verb {SIQ} when you talk about
getting or receiving a vaccine.

For administering the vaccine, you still hear the verb {poch}, as in
{javtIm raS'IS poch Qel}. One could also say {javtIm raS'IS pochmeH
Hergh QaywI' lo' Qel}. But it's more common to say simply {javtIm raS'IS
Qay Qel}, since, in a medical context, the verb {Qay} normally implies
that a {Hergh QaywI'} was involved.

(As a side note: Maltz pointed out to me that the Klingon pronunciation
of the word "zoom" would be {Sum}, which is an apt name for the app.)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"