[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: maq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 22 07:45:08 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, February 21, 2021

Klingon word: 	maq
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	proclaim
Source: 	TKD

Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.  ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
This yell... serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon warrior is coming. (S31)

SEE:
vep 		proclamation, notification, announcement (n)
SoQ 		speech, lecture, address (n)
Qoyje' 		certificate (n)
QIn 		message (n)

ja' 		tell, report, claim (v)
chup 		suggest (v)
qeS  		advise (v)

CULTURAL NOTES:
During the Klingon Rite of Ascension {nentay} the young initiate {lopwI'} proclaims: "{DaHjaj SuvwI''e' jIH.  tIqwIj Sa'angnIS.  'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH}."

A set of proclamations are also made to the bridge crew during a ship's change-of-command:

(KGT 183-84):  A ritual of a less majestic sort occurs on a Klingon vessel when a new set of officers takes over and a mission is about to begin.  With the bridge crew assembled but the captain not yet present, the first officer states his or her name and then says {DaH yaS wa'DIch vIgheS} ("I now take my place as first officer" or, literally, "Now I assume the responsibilities of first officer").  The first officer then requests the ship's {may' ta} (record of battle), which is presented by a crew member.  The first officer reviews it.  Soon the captain enters.  The first officer says, {beq may' ta vIlajpu'} ("I have accepted the crew's record of battle"), pledges the crew's lives to the captain, and concludes by saying, {juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS'e' vItlhob} ("I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship" or, literally, "I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of commander of this ship").  The captain replies, {ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj} ("I accept your lives into my hands") and then reverts to the ancient language form {no' Hol} and says, {Delaq Do'}, meaning something like "Take your stations", a phrase never heard in any other context.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen