[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "they are there"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 05:12:44 PST 2021

Something weird came to mind..

romuluSngan chaH
they are romulans

jagh chaH romuluSngan'e'
the romulans are enemies

pa' chaHtaH romuluSngan'e'
the romulans are there

Now forget the romulans, and assume we want to say "they are there",
without specifying who these "they" actually are. Shouldn't we write the
following?

pa' chaHtaH chaH'e'
they are there

Wouldn't this be the correct way to say it? It seems weird, but I can't see
anything wrong with it.

The only alternative I could thing of is writing just {pa' chaHtaH}. But
the only meanings I get from this are:

1. "they continuously are the there".

2. "they are there" but the the identity of these "they" isn't just
something unspecified, but rather something missing from the sentence. In
other words, this sentence feels like someone saying "there, are the.." and
that's it.

So, the only reasonable choice is saying {pa' chaHtaH chaH'e'}. But am I
correct on this?

~ Dana'an
o eH aH o e Ha HaH