[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIvSo'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 12 07:18:44 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, February 12, 2021

Klingon word: 	rIvSo'
Part of speech:	noun
Definition: 	embassy

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

TREK TRIVIA:
In the 2150's the Vulcans maintained "consulates" on Earth (Sausalito, Canberra, Berlin) (ENT various) and Mazar (ENT "Fallen Hero").  OTOH at the same time there was a United Earth embassy on Vulcan (ENT "The Forge").  Was this difference in status ever explained?

  Known Klingon ambassadors/diplomats include Kamarag (ST4), Koord (ST5), Kell (TNG "The Mind's Eye").   K'Ehleyr was a Federation emissary/ambassador (TNG "The Emissary", "Reunion") and Worf was appointed Federation ambassador to Kronos (DS9 "What You Leave Behind').

SEE:
Duy 		agent, emissary (n)
Duy'a' 		ambassador (n)
jojlu' 		consul (n)
gharwI' 		diplomat (n)
ghar 		diplomacy (n)
ghar 		conduct diplomacy  (v)

  "I’m a soldier, not a diplomat." (Kirk, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  “Diplomacy should be a job left to diplomats.” (Special Ambassador Robert Fox to Scott & McCoy, TOS “A Taste of Armageddon”)

  “Diplomats! The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!” (Scott to McCoy, TOS “A Taste of Armageddon”)

  "Diplomats and bureaucrats may function differently, but they achieve exactly the same results." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

  "If you were not an ambassador I would disembowel you right now!" (Worf to Iyaaran Amb. Byleth, who had accused Worf of lying during a poker game [TNG "Liaisons"])

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen