[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hotlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 4 07:27:53 PST 2021

AFAIK no, but I had the exact same thought.  I gave all the examples of each that I know of.

Note we have a derived noun {HotlhwI'} “scanner”.

There is also the related verb {cha'} "show, display [picture]" which has been used quite a  lot:

DoS cha'
Display target! STMP
wIy cha'
Display tactical! (Clipped)  STMP
wIy yIcha'
Show the tactical display! TKD/KCD
HaSta yIcha'
Show the visual display! TKD
mIvwIjDaq poghlIj vIcha'
I display your glove on my helmet. KGT
tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'
[It] has been emblazoned upon the hulls of countless Klingon starships. SP1
motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a complex target acquisition grid. SP3
'echletHom Dopvam yIcha'
card must be turned this side up MKE
{bama/mIyanma} Hol mu'mey cha'be' [FaceBook].  mI'mey neH cha'.
[untranslated] (MO to Andre on FaceBook, 2/11/2014)
nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
    joqwI''e' cha'bogh qeylIS
    luDel 'e' ra' molor
One by one Molor's scouts return,
    He asks them which banner
    Kahless marches under  (PB)

DI'raq Dacha'meH yIDIj
Paint [a picture of] a sheep!
Draw a sheep! [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]
DI'raq Dacha'meH nav yIDIj
Draw a sheep on the paper!" [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]
DI'raq Dacha'meH nagh beQ yIDIj
Paint the stone panel with [a picture of] a sheep!
("Paint the stone panel with a pigment stick so that you display a sheep!") [Lieven < MO, 9/03/2018]
DIDaq Hoch Doch wIqorta'bogh bavmeH He cha'.
This is the orbit of every object we have scavenged through in the debris field. (DSC "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry" NON-CANON)

--
Voragh

From: De'vID
Has the two meanings of {Hotlh} ever been explained? Are they shades of the same word? Homophones which might be confusing? If I give the order {yIHotlh!}, am I expecting the target to both be scanned and displayed on screen?