[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tarngeb

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 09:46:37 PST 2021

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 17:26:42 GMT Steven Boozer wrote:

> Have you figured out the pun behind {targhonI'} "tungsten" {tar + gho + nI'}
> ?  Searching "tungsten + poison/toxic" brings up mixed results:

Another one based on the name of the ore. "Wolframite" is derived from German
"wolf rahm", the name given to tungsten by Johan Gottschalk Wallerius in 1747.
This, in turn, derives from "Lupi spuma", the name Georg Agricola used for the
element in 1546, which translates into English as "wolf's froth". We have
{'o'nI'} for foam/froth, and I guess it's just preceded by "targh".