[tlhIngan Hol] Hoch in noun-noun constructions

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Feb 3 08:44:43 PST 2021

On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:12 AM, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoch tlhIngan DujDaq So'wI' jomlu' All Klingon vessels are equipped with a cloaking device (S33)
>
> I can't understand why at the S33 sentence, the {Hoch tlhIngan DujDaq} is given as "all klingon vessels", when it's clearly "each klingon vessel".

The reason is probably that the English sentence was written first. The actual meaning of “all” in English is fuzzy, sometimes meaning the same thing as “each”. In translating it to Klingon, the intent of the sentence has been interpreted to mean that there is a cloaking device on each vessel. The alternative would imply that a single cloaking device for the collection of all vessels.

Here it’s the English which is the source of your confusion, not the Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'