[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tarngeb

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 3 08:30:08 PST 2021

Thanks for the references, Lieven.  Perhaps {tarngeb} is a reference to radiation poisoning?

"Ingestion of high concentrations of uranium, however, can cause severe health effects, such as cancer of the bone or liver. Inhaling large concentrations of uranium can cause lung cancer from the exposure to alpha particles. Uranium is also a toxic chemical, meaning that ingestion of uranium can cause kidney damage from its chemical properties much sooner than its radioactive properties would cause cancers of the bone or liver."
    < https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/emergencies/isotopes/uranium.htm >

Under Stalin, the Kolyma mines of the Magadan region of Eastern Siberia were infamous. In addition to the usual dangers of the GuLAG, the Soviets began mining uranium in large amounts there for the Soviet atom bomb project.  Prisoners working inside the mines with *very* primitive equipment (and breathing the dust without protective clothing) soon started dying of radiation poisoning.  This wasn't a problem for the government as there were always new prisoners to replace the dead ones.  (For an overview, see Zhores A. Medvedev's article "Stalin and the Atomic Gulag" at https://www.spokesmanbooks.com/Spokesman/PDF/medvedev69.pdf )

Is tungsten also known to be poisonous?

-- Voragh