[tlhIngan Hol] Introducing oneself in Klingon: Beginner's question

James Landau savegraduation at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 00:37:05 PST 2021

>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:05:59 +0100
>From: "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] Introducing oneself in Klingon: Beginner's
    question

>> and "Hello, my name is Kate Stewart" would be *Kate Stewart pongwIj*. Am I>> correct?
>>

>This would very probably be understood, and might even be accepted as
>correct "clipped Klingon", but the non-clipped, grammatically
>uncontroversial version would be: {Kate Stewart 'oH pongwIj'e'}.
>
>I'm not aware of any examples of the pronoun and {-'e'} being dropped in a
>copula construction in clipped Klingon, except when the subject is a
>question word. ({Dochvam nuq} from Conversational Klingon looks like it is
>the clipped form of {Dochvam 'oH nuq'e'}, even though the grammar isn't
>explained explicitly.)

So let me get this straight . . . sentences with a would-be copula require a pronoun and -'e' in the subject . . . so *Jim Miller jIH* doesn't need an -'e' because *jIH* already is a pronoun, whereas *Kate Stewart 'oH pongwIj'e'* needs a subject pronoun *'oH* and an -'e' because "Kate Stewart", the subject, is a noun and not a pronoun?