[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghan'Iq yaS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 13 07:08:51 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, December 11, 2021

Klingon word: 	ghan'Iq yaS
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	police officer
Source: 	qep'a' 25 [2018]

ghan’Iq  	police force (n) (qep'a' 2018)
ghan’Iq yaS  	police officer (n) (qep'a' 2018)

SEE:
yan 'ISletlh  	Yan-Isleth (n) (MKE)
  - Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.
    You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect the chancellor. MKE

  The Yan-Isleth, or "Brotherhood of the Sword", is an elite Klingon division charged with protecting the chancellor at all times;  ie. it's his personal security force. (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising")

'avwI' 		guard (n)
  May serve some police functions, at least in "Conversational Klingon" and "Power Klingon".   Cp. the Irish *Garda* "guardian, i.e. police officer", the Spanish *Guardia Civil*, etc.  Painstiks were used by Klingon guards to control prisoners in jails, courtrooms and on Rura Pente in 2152. (ENT "Judgment")

ghew 		bug (slang for border patrol?) (n) (ST6)
'oy'naQ  	painstik (n)
yaS		officer (n)
bIghHa'  	prison,  jail (n)
qop 		arrest (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last