[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs referring to time stamps

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Dec 9 12:25:56 PST 2021

For what it’s worth, I would never interpret this to mean “intentionally-on-Monday”. The time stamp informs you of when the action of the verb occurs, or is an anchor against which the time of the verb is measured (with the perfective, etc.), and the adverbial also acts on the verb. I don’t see how you could casually short-circuit this to imply that the intentionality has to do with Monday. You can’t “intentionally Monday”. You can intentionally choose Monday, or intentionally do something to a Monday, but you can’t intentionally Monday.

They intentionally do it. They do it on a Monday. These things are always linked through the verb, but if you want to make a big deal out of Monday and intentionality, you need to work harder than this to make it explicit.

IMHO